Position Open: August 11, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at .
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you'll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where imaginative thinking is encouraged and supported. We are a national, transdisciplinary architecture, engineering, and consulting firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better is not limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit .
We seek to hire an Architect in our Johnson City, TN office who will be responsible for performing, directing and supervising all aspects of architectural design services on multi-discipline building design projects of small to moderate scope for commercial and government facilities.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of architectural design services including conceptual studies, programming, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents under the direct supervision of the Managing Principal, Design Manager or Senior Architect
- Working on a multi-discipline design team
- Meeting with clients to prepare and validate scope of work
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Obtain guidance from Senior Architects and the Department Head as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Direct and supervise the work of Interns, Designers and CAD Technicians assigned to the project, particularly where unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Providing architectural services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Providing architectural services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Complying with the company's quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Senior Architects, and senior management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participate in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, supervising and training junior architectural staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior architectural staff
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with Senior Architect tasks as directed
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Assist in the preparation of scope and fee proposals for the architectural portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, architectural-only projects
- Conduct project code analysis for review by the Managing Principal, Design Manager or Senior Architect
- Analyze, design and document project components
- Develop details of building system components
- Develop discipline specifications for review by the Design Manager or Senior Architect
- Coordinate drawings with technical specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Review all work products prepared by support staff assigned to the project
- Incorporate responses to QC comments into the project documents
- Assist in responding to RFI's, Dr. Check comments, etc.
- Review and respond to CA submittals
- Perform discipline QA/QC review on assigned projects
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- May require domestic and foreign travel
- Bachelor of Architecture from an NAAB-accredited program -or-
- Masters of Architecture (MA must be from an NAAB-accredited program)
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Architect in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- NCARB certified to facilitate licensure through reciprocity is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation preferred
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
An Architect should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software such as Revit and Rhino 3D is highly desirable.
An Architect should typically have 4 years or more of significant design experience as an architect intern in an architectural firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm.
Experience in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education, or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods will be given additional consideration.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Ability to provide outstanding professional services
- Dedication to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
Selection will be based on your application, resume, and portfolio. In order to be considered, you will need to submit a portfolio with your application according to the following parameters:
- Single file in PDF format
- Maximum File Size:10 MB
- No page limits, provided that the file size restrictions are met
- Portfolios must be submitted electronically. We will NOT accept or consider hard copy portfolios.