Local Unit & Position Description
DNV- Energy Use Services group is seeking a Senior-Level Building Simulation Engineer.
As a valued member of our EUS team, you'll be responsible for supporting our portfolio of energy efficiency programs across the United States by providing technical expertise for building simulation modeling projects, implementation of new construction efficiency programs, overseeing and mentoring junior engineers, establishment of best practices for the organization, and development of innovative new program service offerings. This position is an opportunity to use your building simulation experience to collaboratively solve problems, to manage complex projects, and contribute to the energy transition. This position can be based out of any DNV office or remote from anywhere in the Continental U.S.
What You'll Do
- Act as task manager, coordinating resources and personnel within the constraints of time and budget to achieve project goals
- Provide technical support, including building simulation model (EnergyPlus) and other tool development (in Excel, Python, R, SAS, etc.) for engineering analyses, technical review of building energy models and custom measures
- Perform whole-building comprehensive simulation analysis of residential, commercial, and industrial facilities to estimate energy consumption and identify energy conservation opportunities
- Perform third-party review of complex energy efficiency measures, conduct quality assurance checks for technical analyses, and report writing
- Present evaluation results or other technical work to stakeholders or at conferences
- Mentor junior engineering team members to support their growth and development of building simulation skills
- Actively engage with the Energy Use Services team and other colleagues across functions, sharing knowledge and ideas in support of innovation and customer success
What is Required
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial or Architectural Engineering
- Associates degree will be considered only when paired with specialized building modeling experience
- Minimum of 5 years of related professional work experience
- Demonstrated technical expertise in building simulation modeling (Energy Plus)
- Knowledge of energy codes and standards (IECC, ASHRAE, etc.)
- Ability to perform whole-building comprehensive simulation analysis of commercial and industrial facilities
- Understanding of component-level configuration of HVAC, and refrigeration systems; lighting technologies and controls, and building management systems
- Ability to translate building construction documentation and sequences of operation into building simulation models
- Experience calibrating behavior of occupants in building simulation modeling beyond default assumptions
- Experience in energy efficiency program implementation or energy related markets
- Positive team-oriented attitude and professional demeanor
- An organized, detail-oriented approach and the ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Individual should display a positive, team-oriented attitude to match our friendly work environment
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package. We value diversity, equity and inclusion and want you to bring your whole self to work each day. Read more here:
Diversity at DNV
Meet our Employees
Careers in DNV
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see:
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, DNV provides a reasonable range of compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado only, the range of starting pay for this role is $100,000 - $130,000USD.
Please visit our website at
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement, and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.